New procedure for provision of humanitarian assistance to residents of Donbas needs refinement – experts of “Restoring Donbas”
17:23 / 19 Feb. 2015 / 626
On the 30th of January, Cabinet of Ministers at an extraordinary meeting has approved a governmental regulation on the Procedure for provision of humanitarian assistance to residents of Donbas. This document was developed by the State Service for Emergency Situations pursuant to the Presidential Decree № 875/2014 of 14.11.2014.
Experts of community initiative “Restoring Donbas”, having examined the document came to the conclusion that it does not solve the problem of providing humanitarian assistance to the residents of the territories beyond the control of Ukraine, but also creates additional complexity. The reason for this – an innuendo in the wording of Procedure and loopholes in the current legislation. In this connection a community initiative stands for refine of this document through his discussions with the public and volunteers working in the area of ATO.
In particular, the Procedure states that it regulates the mechanism of distribution and the issuance of humanitarian and other assistance provided through the Donetsk and Lugansk Regional State Administration. It is not known whether the document only state aid, or it comes about the entire humanitarian aid regardless of its source.
If Procedure regulates only humanitarian assistance from the state, there is unresolved questions about provision of humanitarian assistance through international organizations, charitable organizations and volunteers Ukraine.
If under the accepted order gets any humanitarian aid for the people of the area of ATO, it further complicates the situation. In this case, all the aid must come to the area of ATO exclusively through Donetsk and Lugansk Regional State Administration. Unnecessary links in the chain transfer of humanitarian aid are a threat – it leads to bureaucracy and corruption risks. In addition, pursuant to paragraph 8 of the Procedure, all humanitarian assistance, which will pass through RSA, shall be marked as humanitarian assistance from Ukraine. So, for example, that international assistance from the Red Cross and other international organizations will be distributed to the Regional Administration on behalf of Ukraine.
It will be impossible to implement any interpretation of the adopted Procedure in its current form due to a number of ill-conceived provisions:
1) The adopted Procedure suggests that direct assistance to the population – is a function of district state administrations. Distribution of assistance should be tailored to the needs of the population and based on the information from district state administrations. However, all state authorities of Ukraine were withdrawn from the territory of the ATO by Presidential Decree, which automatically raises the question of the adequateness of situation assessment by district administrations.
2) The Procedure does not define ways of delivery of assistance directly to the ATO area. The document only mentions the possibility of involvement of the International Committee of the Red Cross and other international organizations in provision of assistance.
3) Lists of recipients, indicating passport information, address and signature, must be maintained when providing the assistance. But it is unclear what those people, who have lost their passports, should do.
4) The Procedure does not contain a well-defined mechanism for provision of assistance to the population in the ATO area, as well as it does not contain a control mechanism over this process.
According to “Restoring Donbas” experts, an attempt to incorporate Regional State Administrations into the mechanism of provision of humanitarian assistance in the ATO area bears huge risks. Implementation of the Procedure may lead to numerous violations during the provision of assistance and book-cooking. In particular, it may happen that provision of assistance through local administrations will result in the resale of products in markets and convenience stores as commodities.
In order to settle the issue of provision of humanitarian assistance in the ATO area, Community initiative “Restoring Donbas” proposes to adopt specific changes to the current legislation of Ukraine:
1. Provide Regional State Administration with an authority to acknowledge (declare) certain products and cargoes a humanitarian assistance. This applies to, above all, food, medicines and basic necessities for recipients.
2. Amend the Law of Ukraine “On humanitarian assistance” and to legally establish that not only a legal entity can be a recipient of humanitarian assistance but also a natural person, who is registered in the Register of ATO volunteers.
3. Complement the Tax Code of Ukraine with provisions that assistance, received by volunteers and persons, who have received it in the form of food, should not be taxed as income. Today such norm is applied only to medicines.
4. Introduce amendments to the Customs and Tax Codes of Ukraine and the Law of Ukraine “On humanitarian assistance,” which shall establish that the tax and customs clearance of humanitarian assistance can be carried out not only by the decision of the Ministry of Social Policy, but also by the decision of RSAs.
5. Introduce amendments to Law of Ukraine “On humanitarian assistance,” which shall establish that the Ministry of Social Policy and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, in case of carrying out an ATO, shall approve the simplified procedure of provision and distribution of humanitarian assistance.
6. Introduce changes to the Temporary procedure of crossing border of the ATO area, which shall provide that the transit of humanitarian assistance can be carried out based on a document recognizing a cargo to be a humanitarian assistance, not only from the Ministry of Social Policy, but also from the RSA.
7. Approve at the level of the Ministry of Social Policy or the Cabinet of Ministers a procedure of simplified provision of humanitarian assistance, administering recognition of a cargo to be a humanitarian assistance, formation of the assistance group, communication with the State Fiscal Service, preparation of assistance acceptance acts.
Such changes to the adopted Procedure are optimal, since they take into account the most common practices of provision of humanitarian assistance in the ATO area – assistance through volunteers and funds of citizens and charities. In addition, in this version, issues of provision of assistance are being solved namely by volunteers and international organizations with a sufficient level of trust in society. These changes also take into account that there are no government agencies in the ATO area, and assistance should be provided only to the affected civilian population.
The restoring-donbass.com website - is an interactive platform, which was created by the "Restoring Donbas" community initiative of Oleksandr Klymenko. The latest news, blogs and analysis, background information and useful ads for IDPs and Donbas residents are available on the website.