We can see three components of overcoming the humanitarian catastrophe in Donbas:
1. Creation of conditions for the voluntary return of IDPs to their places of permanent residence.
Establishment of a special Coordination Center for assistance to internally displaced people in Donbas. Activities of the center should be regulated by a special law and should not duplicate the functions of regional state administrations and local authorities. A key goal of the center – is a strategic management of the process of return of IDPs to the places of permanent residence. Centralization of policy for IDPs will allow to avoid bureaucratic delays and to effectively coordinate the process of provision of assistance, rehabilitation of infrastructure and ensuring security. In addition, this body will become a single information and consultation center for all IDPs.
2. Social protection and legal guarantees for IDPs who haven’t decided to return into the region yet.
It is necessary to improve and to execute the law that will protect the property, social and other rights of IDPs, who do not want to go back to the combat actions area.
It is necessary that the law would regulate the following issues:
– temporary accommodation and provision of necessary assistance in settlement (of the necessary facilities).
– renewal of social payments, registration at the labor exchange, in polyclinics and schools.
– transfer of students on similar specialties to higher education institutions.
– payment of a monthly allowance to IDPs, who have returned to the ATO area within 1 year.
3. Demilitarization of the region and formation of a security system.
– Formation of the Municipal police, accountable to the community.
– Civilian control over the activities of law enforcement agencies (joint patrols, intensified monitoring of human rights observance on the part of public organizations).
– Strengthening control over the circulation of weapons:
– Quarterly amnesty of owners of unregistered weapons under condition of its surrender.
– Strengthening of control in the places of mass gathering of people – installation of metal detection arches at railway stations, stadiums.